Date and Time: Wednesday, January 2, 2013, 6:30pm-8:00pm
Roll Call: BillPooley, MarinoDuregon, RussellSenior, TedBrunner, MatthewKlug, ChrisShirkoff, BenjaminFoote, ConnorScott, SteveTree
- Pick location for next weekly
- New node status:
- Ideas for funding replacement of other WGTs?
- Our old standby hardware, the Netgear WGT634U and its equivalent Accton MR3201A (200MHz CPU, atheros b/g radio, 8meg flash, 32meg RAM), is not handling heavy usage very well, particularly with ipv6 traffic over our VPN becoming more common. We recently obtained a few test units of the Netgear WNDR3800 and are planning to deploy them to our most heavily used nodes. These have 680MHz CPU, dual-band atheros radios, 16 meg flash, and 128 meg RAM. The problem is, they are no longer available through retail channels, and anyway were somewhat expensive (~$150 or so). We found ours on ebay for $80-something new or $65 used. Price and availability are highly variable. Another similar model is the Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H or WZR-600DHP. There may be others. Our challenge is: a) requesting node hosts to fund the devices; b) finding them for an agreeable price. Discuss.
Your Item Here
Russell reported on installation of WNDR3800 at LuckyLabNorth, and brought one to show around
- Russell also reported on new node hardware ideas
Russell talked with TedBrunner about needs for a stripped down captive portal and how it never seems to reach the top of Russell's priority queue ... would be a good project for a motivated programmer (hint-hint)
- Chris mentioned a bar that could use a PTP node, Russell said to feel free to provide them with my contact info, we'd be glad to set them up.
- Connor also talking about putting a device on his building roof
NodeBobWhite needs some vlan work, to provide a private network for vendors
- Steve delivered $40 in cash to Russell, proceeds of the Alvarion sale, also returned a box with the empty alvarion enclosures, and the proxim tsunami.
Next weekly at NodeGooseHollow
<add missing notes here>