- Pick location for next weekly
- Node notes:
NodeFlorio -- reported a splash page outage Tuesday morning, apache on knod was not responding (or responding sluggishly), restarted, api recovered
NodeBuffaloGap -- nocatauth turned off for the Fantasy Football, until September something, upon request.
NodeLutz -- checking out node at the meeting
NodeKlickitat -- was updated over the weekend:
- rooftop flash went smoothly
- the wgt634u's first-boot sequence after flash wiped some nvram values, needed to recover from serial, distributed replacements
- one wgt discovered with a bad radio, replaced an accton mr3201a with a wgt
- some of the wgt634u's wlan LED doesn't seem to light, LED seems okay, firmware seems to be almost identical (except for ipaddr, ssid and hostname), yet some LEDs light and others don't... baffling.
- a couple limitations of modern batman-adv, particularly the user space tools:
- batadv-vis (modern replacement for "batctl vis") does not utilize /etc/bat-hosts, a file which maps MAC addresses to names, making interpretation of mesh link metric status more problematic
- alfred (a user-space information distribution system) exits if the ipv6 link-local address is not derived from the layer 2 address of the bridge, in two cases, they do not match and so alfred initialization fails ... this can be corrected manually, by changing the bridge mac address to match the link-local address.
- currently using the BATMAN IV protocol, but might try out BATMAN V. The IV protocol uses ETX as a metric (ETX is the expected number of transmissions, the inverse of packet success rate), the V protocol includes link rate from wireless and wired interfaces as a metric.
- Got a request from a person, low income, looking for internet connection help, Russell referred them to the public library.
- Corporate renewal ($50) has been filed online as of Monday (oops, slightly late).
Google Fiber opportunities, discussion with DavidSchor, if he can make it.
No posts to http://www.portlandfiber.com/ for a few years. Do we have anything we (Russell) would like to say?
Your Item Here
- Discussion about future initiative for community fiber.
- Need to look into initiative process.
- Digital Inclusion conference is now monthly meeting, at least June - September.
- Node notes:
NodeKlickitat - Widgets, Bullets and Acton - Oh my!
- Replaced the acton which was already down.
- Two special devices - Bullet on Russell's and second house and network links to internal devices, all have one interface with BATMAN Adv.
- Upgraded via command line starting with most remote node, also a reboot.
- Issue with widgets, stuck at firmware transition to OS kernel, nvram defaults wiped. Acton also replaced.
- Alfred - helper layer in BATMAN. Sends packets to mesh neighbors (mac addrs, link metrics, etc). Used to be single master, now multi-master.
- BATMAN V uses link rate, rather than link success rate. Will chose, path based on both. Now alfred metrics obfuscates the metrics.
- Issue with IPv6 link local addresses, BATMAN has a randomized interface, which is now also mapped to bridge interface. Russell set the link-local address to include the MAC address.
- Map file (/etc/bat.hosts), used by batctl to generate maps, no longer works, batadv-viz
- New tools to diagnose packet loss available, none found (trees not an issue). Can Chromecast map directly to local router or PTP router to eliminate channel contention.
- 2GHz antenna not part of mesh still to be upgraded.
- LEDs now no longer working, but they do with old images (circa 2004), may be old config partition no longer present.
NodeBuffaloGap splash paged turned off for fantasy football (as it was last year).
NodeFlorio, more concerned about Apache failure on knod. Standard port, also the wiki. Russell restarted, but issue not known.
NodeLutz - we think we need to whitelist staff MAC addresses.
- Nocatauth tries multiple times to ping address before reclaim.
Next week's meeting is the monthly at NodeLuckyLab.
- Discussion about community education classes. What do we provide, do we:
- Know our expected audience
Do we (FreeGeek) have hardware to provide
- PTP can donate Actons
- Day 1 needs to very entry-level, certainly some non-technical examples needed.
- Person requesting bandwidth connectivity claimed to owe money. Russell said to use Library.
- Corporate renewal paid.
Alex (PortlandMeshNet) contacted Russell, would like to give update of software projects.
- Splash page would be gateway broker. Suggests more community involvement, PTP may be too reliant on altruism.