Dunedin Wireless Group Meeting Notes
23rd Jan 2002
Meeting held at Shooters bar, 7:30pm, as recalled by AlexKing
We had a great first meeting last night at Shooters, here is a brief rundown of what we discussed. There were 6 people in attendance. (AlexKing, DrewWhittle, Mike, Andrew, Selwyn and Joe, apologies from Ian, mrgoblin and Tim.)
We talked about:
Who else is doing wireless stuff already in Dunedin (3 ISPs plus various private networks)
ISPs we know of:
- Walker Wireless
- Netaccess (old Pacific Networks)
- Where we are all located, getting people's co-ordinates with Mike's geek toy and how we might map the info.
- We talked about what was involved in setting up a non-profit (15 people and a witness, and we probably want a set of rules, Drew has something we could start with). We are going to investigate this further, and we will probably go down this track.
- We talked about estimated costs for gear, and we were thinking it could be around NZ$300 per person for card, adaptor, cable and home made antenna.
- We talked about websites, and decided that we would accept adam's offer that we can use the PTP wiki. I will set up a couple of pages on there to keep notes on what we are doing and as another method of internal communication. At a later stage we will set up our own non-wiki site, possibly at nz.persontelco.net?? We don't actually have a name yet....
- IPv4 vs. IPv6
- Talk about doing it properly here and showing the rest of the country the way (right on!)
- Talk about the rural internet projects that are being set up in various places with large government grants
- Talk about suplimenting wireless links with frame/DDS/paid for wireless links/home-strung fibre and ethernet etc.
Talk about what the Otago Regional Trust are doing (http://www.ecommerce.govt.nz/ecat/knowledge/resources/resources-04.html) [addition by DrewWhittle]