← Revision 2 as of 2003-05-05 20:55:44
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
|There have been many suggestions and counter suggestions on what makes a community node "a node".||Here is the list of criteria which a node needs to meet in order to be an official PersonalTelco node. See NodeTypes for a list of all the different types of nodes:|
|Line 3:||Line 3:|
|Here is a list of criteria which I think a Gateway node needs to meet in order to be considered a PersonalTelco community node:||'''All Nodes'''|
|Line 5:||Line 5:|
* Must be listed on the NodeMap
* Must provide free and unrestricted access to the internet or WirelessCloud
* Must have a standardized ESSID (see below)
* Must broadcast it's ESSID
* Must have a DHCP server
* Should run a CaptivePortal gateway (eg. NoCatAuth)
* Must NOT use WEP or an overly restrictive firewall to restrict access
|* Must be listed on the [http://maps.personaltelco.net/ node map].|
|Line 13:||Line 7:|
|The next issue is what should the ESSID be. There are two basic proposals each with their own advantages:||'''Gateway Node'''|
|Line 15:||Line 9:|
1. Use ''www.personaltelco.net'' ESSID
* pro: facilitates roaming
* pro: is simple
* con: causes problems with dense node population
* Use ''www.personaltelco.net/node111'' as the ESSID
* pro: doesn't assume that discrete nodes have a common backbone (which is really what the ESSID is supposed to identify)
* pro: allows node specific information in the ESSID
* con: breaks layer 2 roaming unless ESSID set to "Any" (which can cause problems if there are other non-personaltelco nodes around)
* Use 1 for nodes which are part of the WirelessCloud and 2 for nodes which are logically discrete from the rest of the network
* pro: solves all the problems!
* con: is more complicated
* con: what happens as networks merge (eg. there's a NE "wireless could" and a SE "wireless cloud" that don't meet)
* The AccessPoint must '''not''' restrict access via ["WEP"], ["802.1x"] or any other mechanism.
* The AccessPoint must broadcast it's ["ESSID"].
* The AccessPoint must have its ["ESSID"] set to ''www.personaltelco.net'' or ''www.personaltelco.net/nodeXXX'' (where XXX is the number from the [http://maps.personaltelco.net/ node map]).
* The network must provide free and open access (blocking port 25?) to the internet or "wireless cloud".
* Must display an AcceptableUseAgreement, ideally it should run a CaptivePortal.
* Must run a DHCP server.
|Line 28:||Line 16:|
|I prefer option 3. -- AdamShand||
* Must connect at least two other repeater or gateway nodes together.
Must be listed on the [http://maps.personaltelco.net/ node map].
The AccessPoint must not restrict access via ["WEP"], ["802.1x"] or any other mechanism.
The AccessPoint must broadcast it's ["ESSID"].
- The network must provide free and open access (blocking port 25?) to the internet or "wireless cloud".
- Must run a DHCP server.
- Must connect at least two other repeater or gateway nodes together.