← Revision 17 as of 2004-01-26 13:00:35
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 96:||Line 96:|
|Wireless campout? Anyone want to look for a campsite?|
|Line 97:||Line 98:|
|extention cords to tents etc?|
Victoria to Port Angeles Wireless Link Party
- When: July 3rd 2004
- Who: Pacific Northwest Wireless Volunteers and friends
[http://www.portangelesinn.com/ Port Angeles Inn]
- Latitude: 48.118518286954 (geocode estimate)
- Longitude -123.43420050028 (geocode estimate)
Salt Creek campground ( [http://tiger.census.gov/cgi-bin/mapsurfer?infact=2&outfact=2&act=move&tlevel=-&tvar=-&tmeth=i&mlat=&mlon=&msym=bigdot&mlabel=&murl=&lat=48.1655769&lon=-123.7072144&wid=0.022&ht=0.009&conf=mapnew.con&map.x=275&map.y=157 Map] )
- Latitude: 48.1663284
- Longitude: -123.7041855
- coords are nad27, decimal.
- Plenty of camping, possible power (cant remember if there were RV hookups or not). LOS to vancouver island. Vehicle fee is ~$15. Camping available at edge of bluff.
PersonalTelco is offering to sponsor wireless gear to maintain a permanent link. Home brew antennae.
The Victoria Telecommunity Network and the BC Wireless Project are working on this as a joint project. Many thanks to the VTN for their willingness to help us with this project.
- Gonzales Observatory;
- Latitude: 48.41317
- Longitude: -123.325
- Elevation: 65 meters above sea level.
Managed by the Capital Regional District, also has some [http://www.bcwireless.net/tafl/callsign.php?callsign=xkk420&gettype=cached&cachedcopy=20040117140605 Weather monitoring systems used by UVIC]
- Mount Tolmie
- Latitude: 48.45655
- Longitude: -123.3259
- Elevation: 112 meters
- Located in Saanich, also City property.
- Dominion Observatory aka: The Center of the Universe
- Site A (Lower Scope)
- Latitude: 48.52075
- Longitude: -123.4193
- Elevation: 183 meters
- Site B (Administrative offices)
- Latitude: 48.5192
- Longitude: -123.4166
- Elevation: 193 meters
- Federal land, also a historic site.
- Site A (Lower Scope)
- Mount Douglas (approximated)
- Latitude: 48.49414
- Longitude: -123.3478
- Elevation: 208 meters
- Problems: Conservation society doesn't like antennas, lots of commercial antennas already up there.
- Other site considerations: The West Coast Amateur Radio Association may have repeater sites we could hitch ROW off of.
- Gear we have available:
- One WRAP based Atheros box.
- 2.4GHz antennae
- Lets try to do 802.11b also, just in case the 802.11a stuff doesn't work out
- A should be doable, if we have some nice antennas, and possibly a social "debate" on whether to use closed-source software or not.
- Power sources are questionable, need generators and UPS probably
- Need tested, pre-configured software and hardware
- Configure routers with routes and IPs
- Configure radio cards with proper channel assignments
- Test end-to-end connectivity up close
- Network diagrams
- Just some well documented diagrams so we know what the heck we're doing
- Communication between the two sites
- Unavailibility among SWN people during this holiday (maybe another weekend in July)
- SWN and PTP people should plan to stay the night in this area
- Food, water, shelter, activities, socials, schedules, equipment, etc. details
Wireless campout? Anyone want to look for a campsite?
extention cords to tents etc?