Differences between revisions 10 and 11
Revision 10 as of 2003-12-16 19:23:29
Size: 4095
Editor: 198
Comment:
Revision 11 as of 2003-12-16 19:31:16
Size: 4292
Editor: 198
Comment:
Deletions are marked like this. Additions are marked like this.
Line 22: Line 22:
 * TomHiggins: Databases - postponed until after ITEC. update: Tom and Don are beginning to talk about it.
 * NewCloneArmyBox standardization; see NewCloneArmyInstallMethodology wiki page. KeeganQuinn estimates an automated installation image will be finished sometime early next year. update: goal is a CD with a GUI installer to setup a node
Line 37: Line 39:
 * TomFitz, KeeganQuinn, and Carl volunteer gas money for the PTP Van. TomHiggins will look into insurance. update: still need VIN, etc. AaronBaer says owner must insure. Nigel says last insurance cost $312 for 6 months.  * TomFitz, KeeganQuinn, and Carl volunteer gas money for the PTP Van. TomHiggins will look into insurance. update: still need VIN, etc. AaronBaer says owner must insure. Nigel says last insurance cost $312 for 6 months. Shawn will look into insurance "deals".
Line 39: Line 41:
 * TomHiggins: Databases - postponed until after ITEC. update:
 * TomHiggins: Suggests the use of available machines that are not useful as APs as community-accessible client devices. Consensus is that it's a good idea and that there is a need for such machines to be able to run the X window system. TomHiggins will talk to Joe from FreeGeek about this at or around ITEC.
   -A good hardware grant with clear plan for use of the gear is what FreeGeek is looking for. Such grant writting projects would net us some gear and experience with grant writting.(tomhiggins)
 * NewCloneArmyBox standardization; see NewCloneArmyInstallMethodology wiki page. KeeganQuinn estimates an automated installation image will be finished sometime early next year.
 * TomHiggins: Suggests the use of available machines that are not useful as APs as community-accessible client devices. Consensus is that it's a good idea and that there is a need for such machines to be able to run the X window system. TomHiggins will talk to Joe from FreeGeek about this at or around ITEC. The CityRepair project may help with making kiosk boxes.
 * A good hardware grant with clear plan for use of the gear is what FreeGeek is looking for. Such grant writting projects would net us some gear and experience with grant writting.(tomhiggins)

Meeting Details

Resolved Business

  • ITEC report? Thanks to everyone who helped out.
  • A local business has a large quantity of equipment they would like to donate. update: TomHiggins is coordinating the use of his van to transport one refridgerator sized computer and 20 mac 7200 boxes.

  • KeeganQuinn suggests that the last meeting of the year and perhaps the meeting on the 23rd should be cancelled to allow everyone time for holidays and projects. update: Monthly is already canceled. Weekies can continue, very informal.

  • KeeganQuinn: Returning P-Com equipment to the owners. They are going to contact people about selling it. RickLindahl may know of potential buyers.

  • DonPark and TomHiggins wonder what's going on with the NewCloneArmyBox stash; KeeganQuinn agrees to take an inventory when he picks up his next batch. update: Count is 70-something.

  • AaronBaer: La Dolce Vita cafe installation update: installation should happen this weekend dec 20.

  • AaronBaer: Getting bomb-ass DSL service from Integra. Willing to be the "neighborhood pipe"

  • TomHiggins: Databases - postponed until after ITEC. update: Tom and Don are beginning to talk about it.

  • NewCloneArmyBox standardization; see NewCloneArmyInstallMethodology wiki page. KeeganQuinn estimates an automated installation image will be finished sometime early next year. update: goal is a CD with a GUI installer to setup a node

New Business

  • TomHiggins suggests a Grant Writing Force be formed from interested members as a sort of study group/action team to learn how to do grant writting and how to get them to the right parties. The goal would be to actualy do a few simple grant projects at first (freegeek) and then work up to larger ones. Its a skill the PTP could use.

Old Business

  • Nigel has a lead on a new node at a local icecream parlor, requests a nucab. volunteers keegan in his absence to do the build for this node and "the mall".
  • DarrinEden: Needs to put together a team to do a site survey and potentially long-range link testing from the roof of his office building. update: SeanWelter can help with climbing gear.

  • TomFitz and KeeganQuinn: Automated database to facilitate generating statistics. Discussion concludes that individual users must not be identified, but data could potentially be useful and interesting. update: MAC address tracking/NoCat logs. looking for volunteers

  • KeeganQuinn suggests holding a wireless summit in Summer 2004. Response is positive. More planning to take place in 2004. update: Nigel suggests using the MarkSpencer. TomFitz says it needs sponsorship.

  • KeeganQuinn is interested in doing a satellite dish modification workshop involving 2.4 GHz and/or 5.8 GHz bands based on Trevor Marshall's bi-quad design with Primestar and possibly DirecTV/Dish Networks reflectors. AaronBaer and TomFitz both volunteer locations. Planning to hold the event in February, after TomHiggins' January installfest. update: AaronBaer says Jan31st for research day, then feb for actual event.

  • TomFitz, KeeganQuinn, and Carl volunteer gas money for the PTP Van. TomHiggins will look into insurance. update: still need VIN, etc. AaronBaer says owner must insure. Nigel says last insurance cost $312 for 6 months. Shawn will look into insurance "deals".

  • RobertPetersen: "How do we market to newbs?" Work in progress.

  • TomHiggins: Suggests the use of available machines that are not useful as APs as community-accessible client devices. Consensus is that it's a good idea and that there is a need for such machines to be able to run the X window system. TomHiggins will talk to Joe from FreeGeek about this at or around ITEC. The CityRepair project may help with making kiosk boxes.

  • A good hardware grant with clear plan for use of the gear is what FreeGeek is looking for. Such grant writting projects would net us some gear and experience with grant writting.(tomhiggins)


[CategoryMeetingNotes]

WeeklyMeeting20031216 (last edited 2007-11-23 18:01:33 by localhost)