Here is the beginnings of a membership agreement. It is not, nor intended to be, legaleze.
Comments welcome. -- AdamShand
To be eligible to become a member of Personal Telco you must meet the below requirements:
- You must be sponsored by an existing member.
You must have contributed to the network by doing one of the below:
Owning FootNote(Being listed as the primary technical contact in the node map also counts.) a gateway or repeater node which conforms to our NodeStandards FootNote(You are eligible once your node has been up for one month. Your eligibility lapses if your node is unavailable for three months).
- (or) Be granted a membership by a majority vote of the board of advisors.
- (or) Pay a one-time fee of $500.
Rights and Responsibilities
- You understand that physical activity and risk may be required as part of building network nodes. You agree not to hold Personal Telco liable for any harm that may result from activities either directly or indirectly related to the building of the network.
- You understand that Personal Telco can accept no responsibility for the maintenance or security of your network.
- You agree not to do anything illegal with or through any Personal Telco node. Unacceptable activities include, but are not limited to, spamming, breaching your ISP's terms and conditions of use and breaching the FCC rules and regulations for the ISM band.
- You must allow Personal Telco to audit the availability and location of your node.
- You must allow us to gather and redistribute statistics on your node. However we will never release your name, address, email or any other personally identifying information to a third party.
- Membership may be terminated, without cause or notification, by either party.
You are eligible for MembershipBenefits.
- You understand that this is a living document and subject to changes. Personal Telco will make a best effort attempt to contact you via email prior to any changes in requirements or responsibilities coming into effect. However ultimate responsibility for knowing the contents of the membership agreement lies with you.
- The most current version of the document will always be available at the below URL:
Please leave your name with your comments.
What about sweet Labour? Seem to me that if a person donates X of hour he should be a member also.
That's what the board exemption is for. If people do significant work to contribute in some way or another the board can grant them a membership. -- AdamShand
Seem to me this sounds like a elite boys club?
Could you explain what it is you don't like? Remember that anyone can use the network, membership means that you get to vote on how the organization is run. The intention is to give control of the organization to the people who build the network (directly or indirectly). -- AdamShand
- You understand that physical activity and risk may be required as part of building network nodes. You agree not to hold Personal Telco liable for any harm that may result from activities either directly or indirectly related to the building of the network. Perhaps we could clarify that the risk is associated with building nodes, but building nodes is not requried? It seems like we require physical risk no matter what.