[http://www.portlandmaps.com/detail.cfm?action=Block&propertyid=R246849&state_id=1S1E04AA%20%203400&address_id=104575&intersection_id=&dynamic_point=0&x=7641943.042&y=682687.793&place=1011%20SW%2012TH%20AVE&city=PORTLAND&neighborhood=DOWNTOWN&seg_id=138911 1000-1099] SW 12th Ave. BR Portland, Oregon
- None Yet
- None Yet
- ESSID: www.personaltelco.net
- Internet Network: x.x.x.x/yy (or dynamic)
- Gateway: x.x.x.z
- Upstream DNS servers: x.x.x.z, x.x.x.z, ...
- PTPnet Network: x.x.x.x/yy
Installers / Organizers
FirstUnitarianChurch owns the entire block. This includes several entire buildings and alot of diverse architecture. The overall goal is to saturate a few specific spots inside the buildings and cover the surrounding neighborhood with free wireless internet. The relevant buildings are:
- The Elliot Center ("EC") will be built in coming months and years. It will take the place of several existing, smaller buildings. Once constructed, the Elliot center will be used for various community events, education and activities. As such, it will need some wireless coverage. However, this is still a couple of years off.
- The Office Building ("0") houses the existing IT infrastructure and many small offices. Currently, there is a DSL line which serves something like 2-dozen users and a couple of servers. I suspect that Wifi coverage in the Office Building is not a huge priority, as most anywhere you would want connection has a lan-drop. However, it would still be nice.
The Salmon Street Sanctuary ("SS") is on the corner of 12th and Salmon, it is on the historic registry, and is currently undergoing construction for seismic upgrades, which are expected to finish by March. Once this construction finishes, its bell-tower may be the ideal location for a some sector antennas pointed out windows to cover the surrounding area. Also, the inside of this building should be covered eventually. It's construction is steel re-enforced masonry with plaster inlaid with steel mesh - a FarradayCage. Below and around the sanctuary are several other floors which house classes for [http://www.nwacademy.org/ NW Academy] (who appear to have their own wireless network locally), religious education, music education, and some other things.
- The Main Street Sanctuary ("MS") is houses a second sanctuary (which has recording hardware for podcasting) as well as Fuller Hall in the basement, which hosts comminity gatherings. Both the second sanctuary and Fuller hall are prime candidates for initial unwiring.
The unlabled building is an appartment building for the [http://www.outsidein.org/ Outside-In], which would surely benefit from FreeWireless, and may be willing to collaborate. If they are, they sure do have a nice chimney (on top of a scary roof).
To Do List
- Get more information about NW Academy and see about possible collaboration
- Get more information about Outside In and see about possible collaboration
- Run Cat5e from the Office Wiring Cabinet to the Main Street Sanctuary Balcony. Determine if this is even possible, and if so, how it needs to be done. If not, look into contingincies (a seperate DSL line for the MS building, or maybe a WDS link from the office?).
- Install a simple AP (WGT, WRT, or similar) at the endpoint of this Cat5e
- Test coverage, see about similar setup in Fuller Hall if necissary
- Look into putting equipment in the SS bell-tower once construction is completed.
Maintenance and System Log
2006-02-02: Went out to site to do an initial site survey. Details above. Will post pictures at some point. - CalebPhillips
[http://www.cgis.ci.portland.or.us/giswrap/servlet/GisWrapServlet?MjIsISp4bBwfCBMcbTVhCQsbAwYqXFJcPDcqLS47LC43JjsyXFJcLys/MjcqJ1wDUgVcODcyOyE0ODc4XFJcTEpcUlxLTlwDV1EtOzI7PSpeVF44LDEzXiUzHw4xGFZcMQwKFhFcUgVcTE5OSl4xDAoWEQ1cA1JLTk5SSk5OUhsQCBsSEQ4bVklISk9ITEdQRkdHUklISkxPTEdQRkdHUkhGTEZKTlBISkpSSEZMSkpOUEhKSldSBS4RFxAKVklISk9HTkxQSE1SSEZMSE5PUExKRlcDUgUtCgcSGzkfEhIbDActBxMcERJWXDk3LS8yUA0KBxIbXFJcMx8MFRsMXi0HExwREg1cUlw6GxgfCxIKXFJcLRsSGx0KFxEQXFcDVyNF aerial photo]