NoCat drive duplication How To:
Went home last night and tried to dupe my NoCat box. Hopefully this is a good primer for those thinking about doing it. This was on my Stylistic 1200 with a 2.1 Gig 2.5" IDE drive.
Ghost (2002) Does Not Work.
- (It seems to screw up LILO's boot loader - it appears to copy fine, but boots with "L 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 ..... " ad infinitum)
DD Does Work (a standard Linux copying utility).
- Hook up your drive to the IDE bus on your Linux machine
Boot into Linux - I had the fortunate problem that my new drive was recognized as /dev/hdc, and happened to NOT be recognized (since it replaced an already existing /dev/hdc. This caused Linux to abort booting, causing me a much shorter boot time. My /dev/hda drive was mounted already as RW, so I could do the deed...
Find out which drive is your NoCat drive
Make sure it's your NoCat drive
- Really sure?
(for me) Issue this command: "dd if=/dev/hdc of=NoCat.img"
You'll wait 15-30 minutes, and get a 2.1 gig file called NoCat.img
- Shutdown, swap in the new IDE drive, reboot
- Do the whole "Are you really really sure.." drive dance above
Issue the command "dd if=NoCat.img of=/dev/hdc"
- Wait 15-30 minutes until it's done, shutdown, pop drive into Stylistic
- Boot stylistic, change:
- root password (passwd command)
Not sure what else I've missed....