Location: NodeWorldCup, 1740 NW Glisan St.
Date and Time: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 6:30pm-8:00pm
Roll Call: ShawnWelter, RussellSenior, MichaelWeinberg, SigneBishop, CarlPetith, DonPark, StefanMintier, ChrisChen, SteveTree, [MikeBoyd was nearby, but didn't find the meeting room]
- Discuss Onward Oregon issues
- Discuss OSCON/TBA project
- Your item here
RussellSenior shows off the reflashed FON Router from the InternationalSummitForCommunityWirelessNetworks, has three total, and there are apparently more on the way. The idea is to install meshy software on them.
OnwardOregon would like to do something around municipal fiber, here are some points for their e-mail:
- Municipal Fiber is the best way to maintain options and free-as-in-freedom networks.
- Ubiquitous Municipal Fiber is the best way to address the digital divide, create abundance.
- A network that was open to multiple providers would allow for competition and more options for consumers.
- Current broadband options are significantly limited in the bandwidth they can provide. Portland is quickly being eclipsed in broadband speeds.
- Fiber is faster and much more reliable than wireless. Wireless can never scale because it uses a shared medium. Your fiber doesn't interfere with your neighbors.
- You can guarantee that fiber will work, whereas you can't tell with wireless if a certain location is covered.
- Independence and Ashland both have it. We should too!