← Revision 7 as of 2009-01-29 00:17:13
added some notes
Revision 8 as of 2009-01-29 00:45:21
added a further note regarding the wgt luckymike gave back to russell
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 37:||Line 37:|
|* MichaelWeinberg gave to Russell the WGT634U that had been used as a repeater at NodeMuddys (MISSNET-12) on N Mississippi (was replaced by a ruckus). This was not the one he's been trying to get a openvpn-tunnelling music player thing working on, as he at one time suggested it might have been.|
Date and Time: Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 6:30-8:00pm
Roll Call: DonPark, DarrinEden, RussellSenior, Max (MoonGoggles), SteveTree, MichaelWeinberg, TylerBooth, TroyJaqua, ChrisChen
- Discussion of new Monthly Meeting location
Review status of AlixCab project
- Report on fiber projects
- February 19th, Russell has been invited to do a 5-minute talk titled: "Why Publicly Owned Fiber is the Answer to our Broadband Needs" at the Ignite Portland 5 event.
- Discussion of Starlight Parade ideas
- Node status report
NodeLighthouse has been fixed
NodeWestover needs a visit (upstairs aps have been reset, need reconfiguration)
NodeFirstUnitarian needs a visit (rooftop isn't reachable from nucab)
NodeIrvingPark has been taken down for reconstitution
NodeOakTree needs a PTP WGT or other gateway device
NodeMoonlight needs its gear unplugged and retrieved
- a new node is getting setup near NE 7th and Tillamook.
Pre-meeting, accepted the donation of a Soekris 4826 and atheros radio in the remnants of a metrix enclosure (missing pigtails, cat5 gland) and an Apple AirPort access point thingie from DarrinEden (Thanks!). Gave DonPark a flashed and mostly-configured WGT634U for NodeOakTree. Needs an entry in /etc/hosts removed (pointed at a local address for wifidog.personaltelco.net) and whatever upstream network configuration is required.
- The dining room at Jax was already closed, lights off, curtains drawn, so we sat in the bar instead. Worked okay for the sized group we had. Next month, not so certain at this stage. We'll check out the Roots meeting room and see what it's like in the next week or so and go from there.
Russell showed off various gadgets, including the Alix board (to Darrin and Don) and the Ubiquity RouterStation to everyone.
We reviewed where we were on the AlixCab fundraising, a little over $2k, with a few hundred more promised but not yet delivered. We accepted a donation of $100 by check from Chris Chen (Thank you!). There was some discussion of features we want in captive portally things. One being node usage statistics, and how that intersected with whitelisting. From MichaelWeinbergs perspective, the primary target for whitelisting is the extant crop of "smart phones" (iphones and the like) that are too stupid to behave rationally in the presence of a captive portal. Troy advocated for NoCatSplash and some kind of Radiusy thing. Troy suggested that Russell look closer at NoCatSplash and Troy's patches to same.
- Talked very briefly about the fact that we'd talked about what community fiber might look like, that I'm going to do a talk at Ignite Portland 5.
- There was a fairly lengthy discussion about a parade float. People seemed to think that the Statue of Liberty idea would be hard to pull off. Other ideas involved a tower and various lighting treatments. Projection, words, etc. The platform problem would be solved by renting something to either tow or drive, like a tilt bed truck or something. We thought we should try to raise some money from participants and that a budget around $1k is reasonable and doable.
- Node todos:
Need to set up a visit to NodeWestover to reconfigure the upstairs ap's. Will need to coordinate with Victoria, as we'll need access to the rooms. Troy said he could help.
NodeIrvingPark has been dismounted and taken to Troy's for rehabilitation. Troy is going to contact the node host Brian Wannamaker (sp?) again to see about remounting it and also doing some more maintenance at other properties where we have had networks (The Falcon, etc).
NodeGoggles host was present, however he has yet to finalize the DSL service. Consequently he decided it was premature to take the other configured WGT634U home with him. Russell gave him a card and asked that he call when he was ready.
NodeMoonlight needs gear collected. (Russell drove by after the meeting and the space had some kind of florist shop there now ... the AP over the door was still beaconing, but the one formerly in the backroom was silent). Will try to make contact tomorrow.
- Russell was contacted by someone near the corner of NE 7th and Tillamook recently, indicating they were setting up a node. Russell has offered help, but not heard back yet.
MichaelWeinberg gave to Russell the WGT634U that had been used as a repeater at NodeMuddys (MISSNET-12) on N Mississippi (was replaced by a ruckus). This was not the one he's been trying to get a openvpn-tunnelling music player thing working on, as he at one time suggested it might have been.