When and Where
Urban Grind Coffee 2214 NE Oregon St. (take 22nd Ave. 2 blocks North of Sandy Blvd.)
Wednesday, January 28th, 6pm-9pm
Jim works for Netgate (netgate.com), one of the most popluar wifi gear sales sites on the internet. He has extensive experience with engineering wireless equipment and networks. He'd like you to know that he bakes a mean croissant and that he's trapped in Spokane, longing for the Parisian-lite appeal of Portland.
Glenn Fleishman claims to spend most of his waking hours thinking about technology, mostly wireless, and how it all fits together with Jim's croissants. He has written two editions of The Wireless Networking Starter Kit, a book for intermediate users and small offices. Among Glenn's press credits is the Mac column in the Seattle Times, which makes him an expert on the way radio waves traverse pastel lucite.
Topics will be offered at the monthly, or divined using a new Wireless-Pundit Presentation Topic Detector from Belkin.
Special thanks to both our speakers for allowing me to abuse their bios.
Recordings of past meetings are archived: http://ptp.thebasement.org/meetings/
- 6:00PM - Introduction to Personal Telco for new comers
- 6:30PM - Speaker #1
- 7:15PM - Speaker #2
- 8:00PM - Business
6:15: Nigel has taken the stage and is starting the meeting.
Jim Thompson has an iChat camera on this meeting along with another member. Don't know where to point for a live feed, however. About 70 people are gathered in the Urban Grind Coffee Shop in Portland where this meeting is taking place.
- Introductions: New people are introducing themselves. A variety of backgrounds and interests. [Glenn is holding up "Bender", the robot from Futurerama. Laughs around.
- New Access Point: The Ugly Mug is Sellwood will be on-line shortly. First in Sellwood (SE Portland).
- Nigel's involvement in the Portland Telecom group would involve rooftops owned by the city. Four buildings have been chosen. Has permission to put in gear. It would "shut off" public access in the event of an emergency and be available for emergency use.
Nigel says proprietary WiMax gear WILL be installed. Funding for 4, fault tolerant nodes with free wifi access will be used. Emergency use will be available for public services.
- 6:45pm: Darren Eden, president of Personal Telco, has taken the stage and explains the goals and mission of PersonalTelco. "Most importantly it's about you." Hands out the PersonalTelco contact sheet with the most active users who are installing nodes and making it work. Keegan Quin is the "chief engineer" while Don Park has the final word on what's deployed. Other members, too fast to transcribe, are on the contact sheet.
- Michael Weinburg is introducing Glenn Fleishman. Glenn,in Seattle, is coming through loud and clear and his picture is being projected on a large projection screen. Looks like about 15 fps. Nice.
Glenn explains his background and his interest in WiFi. Glenn says the topic is" The Future is Free - But It'll cost you $20/month.
Jim Thompson, locally in Portland is running Glenn's PowerPoint presentation. Hey, this is working great! Glenn Operates probably the most popular and well read Wi Fi Blog, [http://www.wifinetnews.com WiFiNetNews]
[http://www.wifinetnews.com Glenn] is contrasting T-Mobile's Starbucks with Barnes and Noble locations. B&N locations are bigger. Often an entire building is dedicated to BN. That means a captive venue.
Other captive ventues: Hotels, Conference centers, Airports.
Hotels are becoming increasingly free; Best Western, Holiday Innn, Marriot budget hotels, Wyndham. Now cell phones are destroying room revenue. So packaging access + phone may be the future. Convention Centers, says Glenn, have taken advantage of their captive audience, charging as much as $1000/week for T-1 access.
At this point, Darren got up and said that too many people were using their laptops and causing bandwidth problems. The audio was really pretty good and (almost) completely understandable. Darren has opened it up for q&a.
Standing Committees Report
PTP President Darrin Eden will be giving away a new Linksys WRT54G to one lucky attendee. Entries can be made with a business card or a sheet of paper upon arrival at the meeting, and the drawing will be held at the end of new business. Good luck!
Announcement of New Leadership Roles
The board will introduce new leadership roles, and the members who will be filling them, as PTP looks towards our future as Portland's leader in wireless fidelity.
Personal Telco's first Capital Fundraising Campaign will be presented. This is a very exciting new development for PTP, as it will lay the foundation for an operating budget in the future.
Weekly Structure Motion
- Weeklies continue to be run in an "adhoc" fashion.
- One officer will be assigned to attend each weekly. If no officer is available, it will be announced prior to the meeting that none will be in attendance.
- The officer present will take down a list of all points that are brought up that require a board decision. These minutes will be approved by a quorum of attendees prior to the end of the meeting.
- Points needing executive decisions will be addressed by the officers and board members at biweekly meetings. These will be scheduled by the officers and board members based on their schedules, and may vary in time from meeting to meeting. There must be enough people in attendance for a quorum.
- Executive decisions will be announced at monthlies, and then archived in the minutes of those meetings. Individual decisions may be announced by other means if they are time-sensitive.
Weekly Meeting Structure Alternation Motion
Weeklies are held informally every week, the day to be announced on the general mailinglist at some point before it is to happen. Propose amendment to announce meetings on announce mailinglist as opposed to general exclusively. AaronJohnson
- Members, Board and/or Executives may or may not show up.
- At said meetings Items are raised for Discussion and possibly to be moved to Action
- Items resolved to be done at said meetings are done so under the aegis of the "Just Do It" policy. Resloution comes about if a Member or Members deem to take on the Action or Actions.
- The notes of the weeklies are posted to the list and to the wiki, as they have been done, wherein the Membership, Board and Executives can discuss, disuade, disavow, approve, accelerate, aid or ignore the Discussion and Actions.
- The Monthly Meetings will be the time to review and re-evaluate any Discussions or Actions the Members, Board or Executives so desire. This can include some, none or all of the Discusions and or Actions from the weeklies.