Location: NodeKeegan, 709 W 27th St., Vancouver, WA 98660
Date and Time: Wednesday, April 12, 2017, 6:30pm-8:00pm
Roll Call: KeeganQuinn,RussellSenior,TedBrunner,TomasKuchta,JasonBergstrom,SteveTree
Portlander attendees will rendez-vous at NodeLuckyLabNorth (on Killingsworth) at 6:30 p.m., then carpool north to the Couv at around 6:45 p.m. If you want a ride, please don't be late!
- Pick location for next weekly
Check out NodeKeegan, commune with the Keegster. Investigate the burrito situation!
- Node notes:
NodeCommunitecture has been offline since late December, they were in the midst of an office move, just pinged them by email to see what their status is. They replied, saying they were still unpacking from their move to Division. Also, in a related note, Russell got a call today from the new owner of the old building where NodeCommunitecture got started, telling me that they had finally gotten up on the roof and brought down the old Soekris that had been up there (upside down and non-functioning) since the previous owner relocated it there for us (unfortunately without consultation). He said it was full of water and that we could come collect it any time.
NodePotatoChampion -- contacted Russell to complain about some disconnection problems, discovered only 2.4GHz was functioning ... and for a long while. Russell prepared to replace the Buffalo WZR600DHP there, by building a new image, however encountered some recent churn in the LEDE project tree and spent some time figuring out and fixing an LED problem, then a vlan problem, then flashed the new image on both the installed router and a potential replacement. Somewhat surprisingly, 5GHz came back with the new image, so replacement is on hold, at least until morning to see how it holds up.
NodeKeegan -- Russell will bring an MR24 configured to replace the Buffalo WZR600DHP node Keegan has now, if he so desires, having noted that the LAN ports on the Buffalo are currently going unused.
NodeGooseHollow -- needs a followup to: a) see about the third MR24 and b) see about getting reimbursed for the hardware costs
NodeSechzig -- Russell needs to finally get an invoice off to VZA for the hardware costs.
MerakiMR24 -- all 25 newly received MR24's have been flashed to a generic build of LEDE, including the "factory" recovery (press the reset button during boot to get a generic initramfs system for recovery). This flashing process necessitated opening the case for each device to connect to the serial console and executing a kermit script (which was not 100% reliable, but close enough, and a big improvement to the cut/paste done previously). It is hard to see ever needing more of these devices than we now have in the stockpile, but it was also hard to turn them down for the price
- Tomas suggests another OpenWrt/LEDE workshop, Russell is all for it, though he could use some guidance on how to make it more productive. Russell, if you haven't noticed, is a typically pretty free-form, trial-and-error-and-error sort of teacher. As long as the errors and their correction are captured and step-wise refined, then he figures we are making progress.
- Tomas is also interested in loading Python on nodes in order to facilitate Ansible management, the obstacle being the lack of flash on the TPLink TP-WDR3600s. He has suggested some ways of fixing this, namely attaching a USB-storage device. Russell thinks the first step would be trying it out.
Your Item Here
Picked up ThaiOrchid dinner
- Discussion about data retention (MAC addrs?)
- One way hash with vendor portion replaced
- Node Notes
NodeCommunitecture - was offline, now on Division, will plug in after unpacked. Metrix kit on chimney at old location is now down for pickup.
NodePotatoChampion - missing mast, 5GHz issue - update may have fixed it, new hardware on standby.
NodeKeegan - dropped off Meraki MR24, want to expand to more APs roof/attic.
NodeGooseHollow - discuss third MR24 and need to invoice
NodeSechzig - need to send invoice
- Additional 25 MR24 nodes flashed, work performed with C-Kermit scripting
- Discussion about router hardware, Ubiquiti or Mikrotik to have additonal ports and flash disk space
Russell committed to Tomas to host a node-building workshop, possibly OpenSource Bridge unconference.
- improve process, maybe create mesh network in workshop as well (though BATMAN is a challenge to set up).
- Leverage Acton 3201 hardware?
- Further updates on MR24 network interface issue, uboot newer version, no source available. Network is available at boot time.
Cacti snmp polling issue with NodePotatoChampion