|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 76:||Line 76:|
*Looking at other city models: lots of good material already found.
*The goal is to present a report, feasibility study, at the MeetingApril2004 (DVZ, AMJ)
*Looking at other city models: lots of good material found: San Diego, Milwaukie, NYPL.
*DVZ has contacted and completed notes from phone conversations with Library in Austin, TX.
*The goal is to present a feasibility study report at the MeetingApril2004 (DVZ, AMJ)
|Line 122:||Line 123:|
Personal Telco Monthly Meeting for February 2004
When and Where
Urban Grind Coffee 2214 NE Oregon St. (take 22nd Ave. 2 blocks North of Sandy Blvd.)
Wednesday, February 25th, 6pm-9pm
Speaker: Phil Busse
Phil Busse is the managing editor of the Portland Mercury and a mayoral hopeful who has listed getting free Wi-Fi in all city buildings as one of his plans for his first 100 days in office. Mr. Busse will share his thoughts on the social implications of Wi-Fi. Phil would like to continue the discussion on his web site, http://www.meformayor.com/
- 6:00PM - Introduction to Personal Telco for newcomers.
- 6:30PM - Phil Busse
- 7:30PM - Business followed directly by informal meet and greet.
Multnomah County Libraries and PTP - AaronJohnson on behalf of Douglas Van Zandt who was unable to attend.
This event should in no way be construed as an endorsement of Mr. Busse's mayoral campaign. The Personal Telco Project is always interested in speakers willing to share their views on Wi-Fi, be they from a technological, legal or social angle. It is in this spirit that Mr. Busse has been invited to speak.
6:15 meeting called to order
- Schedule announced
- Speaker announced
DarrinEden introduces PTP purposes
- Introduces Portland Area Captains:
- Gives thanks to UG as sponsor of meeting
6:20 introduces NigelBallard
- Gives updates
- Ugly mug node is up
- Subway node is up
- IPPhone issues raised
- IPPhones portable and upsetting the telco model
- Gives updates
- More doorprizes this month.
A book, USB WiFi adapter, the O'Reilly Wireless Hacks Book, caps, stickers, etc.
- Introduce the new people
- Encouragement to talk to regulars
MichaelWeinberg introduces Mayor Candidate Phil Busse
- Candidate Managing Editor of Portland Mercury
Wants to install free WiFi in every public building.
- Campaign Questions Asked
NigelBallard mentions ( as part of the Portland wireless steering committee) that the City wide wireless access progressing. 802.16 radios on top of OHSU and PSU Ondine Bldg. oked Donations have been given
- 7:35 Phil Wraps up and summarizes his platform
- PTP is at the cusp of things
- City hall will be open to you.
- 5-10 min break.
- 7:50 called back to order
- Update on getting libraries unwired
- Looking at other city models: lots of good material found: San Diego, Milwaukie, NYPL.
- DVZ has contacted and completed notes from phone conversations with Library in Austin, TX.
The goal is to present a feasibility study report at the MeetingApril2004 (DVZ, AMJ)
- Please contact DVZ if you have information regarding who at or how to contact Multnomah County Library.
- In December 2003, VeriLAN completed installation on KGW tower in west hills and would like assistance in developing a PTP acceptable use policy (AUP) for outlier or edge nodes. i.e. wireless backhaul for hotspots. Contention from a member of the board regarding VeriLAN "advertisements" during a PTP meeting forced a change of subject.
- More VoIP Phone talk..A hardware VON phone is shown
- Video shown of enterprise installation of pre-802.16 and 802.11b at 650' platform on KGW tower in the West Hills. It's the tower with the twin tips. Look for a slight buldge about 1/5 below top. That's the platform.
Acknowledgement that Aaron helped originate the UG node and the donation of the VON phone to UrbanGrind thus making UrbanGrind the first PTP node to have a free use Voip phone. Its number is 239153. To be installed in the coming week. For the record, UG already had wireless when it opened. NOTE: BrianBeattie and I swapped in a CloneArmyBox, veronica, with BeWitched on it effectively changing the ESSID to www.personaltelco.net. AMJ
- Update on getting libraries unwired
AaronBaer talks about the antenna building fest day coming up
- Attendees responsible for own equipment
- Call for some supplies.
- Supplies needed thrown from audience.
CapitalFund campaign update
CapitalFund campaign is an effort to raise $1500 by July, initiated last month, with matching funds from the Board and Area Captians up to $1500. That would be $3000 if the goal was met and all the matching funds captured.
- $390 dollars donated so far
- Additional $170 made by auctioning off SGI system.
DarrinEden talks about meeting with BC wireless in Canada to try and link the two groups
- Going to make wireless link across the boarder. July 3rd. Big work party and then big party party
- August 26th in PDX try and make wireless multi hop link for a day.
- New node map based on city bike maps up
- Discussion on necessity of captive portal. Continuing discussion from mailing list. Trying to enable mobile IPPhones on PTP nodes.
Anouncement of the InstallFestMarch2004 was made, please go to that wiki page for more info.
8:25 DarrinEden tries to finish old business
- Question on how to remove or cull old nodes from NodeDB. NodeDB is a separate site that PTP has little control over. There does exist a system in NodeDB to cull old nodes, but there is a lag time.
- Other Comments on additional services via PTP nodes. Local Content Etc.
8:35 DarrinEden actually finishes old business
- 8:35 Names drawn for Prizes
- 8:40 People Disperse.