- Technical Groups and Papers
- General Wireless Information
- Mapping and Discovery Tools
- Linux Drivers, Software and Documentation
- FreeBSD Documentation and Utilities
- Windows Software
- Macintosh Software
- Vendor Equipment
- Building Your Own Equipment
- Online Discussions
- Wireless Specific Trading Boards
Technical Groups and Papers
- The 802.11 specification
- Wireless Ethernet
- IEEE Working Groups
- IEEE 802.11b Specification
- IEEE 802.1x (Radius Authentication)
- IEEE 802.15 (Personal Area Networks)
- I EEE 802.16 (Wireless MANs)
- IEEE 802.11e (QOS Extensions)
- UCB finds Security weaknesses in WEP (initial announcements, followups and rebuttals).
- FCC Rules and Regulations for 802.11 in the 2.4ghz Band
General Wireless Information
- What you should know when starting a wireless project.
- Low Cost Wireless Network
- Tutorials and general information on wireless LANS.
- General Information on dB, antenna gain, Effective Isotropic Radiated Power (EIRP), and lots more.
- Linux wireless LAN FAQ - mostly linux specific but good general info on how 802.11 works as well.
Linux wireless howto
weca - wireless ethernet association
Authenticated mobile IP on wireless networks under freebsd
Network computing reviews various 802.11b solutions
- This is a really good discussion about various 802.11b solutions. lots and lots of info.
Interoperability between linux frees/wan and other clients
- windows, mac and *bsd
Wireless-nets: magazine, news letter etc by jim geier
FCC Rules and Regulations for 802.11 in the 2.4ghz band
- Wireless News and Information
Review of WKMN Training Course: "A Newbie's Guide to Wireless" [NewbieGuideToWirelessReview]
A German language info-site about Metropolitan Area Networking
WiMAX info and resources WiMAX Review
FAQ Wireless Knowledge Base: http://www.invictusnetworks.com/faq.php
Mapping and Discovery Tools
- Online mapping tools with street info
- Topozone, high quality topographical maps of the USA.
- Distance and bearing calculator from lat/long
MapIt! Unix mapping CGI to provide web based maps
- Map Server, Unix CGI to provide web based GIS data
- Digital Raster Maps for Portland Oregon
- Radio Mobile, map radio networks (windows software)
- Calculate the loss of signal over various types and distances of cable.
- The Tiger 2000 map data gathered by the US Census Bureau
- WiGLE.net wireless network database, map generation and network plotting.
Linux Drivers, Software and Documentation
- Linux on the Apple Airport
- Linux router projects
FreeSCO - http://www.freesco.org/
WRP - http://www.nocat.net/
Smooth Wall - http://www.smoothwall.org
Seattle Firewall (Seawall) - http://seawall.sourceforge.net/
- Perl command line interface to the Airport
- A Java interface to the Airport (also a utility that measures signal strength and noise)
- Dynamics: Mobile IP software from Helsinki U. Tech.
- Wireless Access Point Utilities for Unix
- Absolute value systems - they wrote the wlan faq and also appear to have an sdk for wireless development under Linux.
- How to build Linux for a disk on chip system
- How to use a *nix computer as an access point
- Dynamics: Mobile IP software from Helsinki U. Tech.
FreeBSD Documentation and Utilities
- How to get FreeBSD to do a wireless install
- Setting up Wireless Cards on FreeBSD
FreeBSD 4.6 Wireless AP (w/ Firewall & NAT using IPFW)
- Configuring a FreeBSD Access Point for your Wireless Network
- Wireless Access Point Utilites for Unix
- The Karl Net Configurator for the Airport and RG-1000.
- Freebase - Configure a Macintosh Airport (note: should works with the RG-1000 as well)
- PGP Net - a windows ipsec compliant vpn client.
http://www.nai.com/international/caribbean/asp_set/products/tns/pgpvpnclient_intro.asp (dead link June 17 2002)
http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html (second download site)
- Cross platform Airport wireless networks
- iStumbler - Wireless Scanning Utility for Mac OS X
MacStumbler - a NetStumbler clone for Mac OS X
- KisMAC - a wireless stumbler for Mac OS X
ClassicStumbler - AirPort companion software scans for all Wi-Fi networks within range. For Mac OS.
- Advento Networks - Wireless products
- Victoria Wireless - Wi-fi products and information.
Moonblink Communications - Discount Professional Grade Wireless ISP equipment & More
- Nova Port Wireless Solutions - A local wireless LAN solution provider
- Invictus Networks - The largest wireless reseller in the North West
- Super Pass (Canadian Antenna Company)
- Hyperlink Technologies
- Amplifiers from Raylink
- Netnimble, Antennas and more ...
- ITELITE - Antennas for wireless networks
- WLANmall - Complete Point to Point and Point to Multi-Point Wireless Solutions
- Remotedataphone.com - EVDO and GSM data devices and antennas
Building Your Own Equipment
- The Home brew antenna shootout
- Slashdot commentary on above link
- More antenna info
- Video showing how to make a cantenna
- Do-It-Yourself Wi-Fi Antenna Update
- Trevor Marshall's Biquad Feed for Primestar Dish
- Detailed Biquad Construction Info (~11dBi)
- Double Biquad (~13dBi)
- Seattle Wireless is doing great work on making antenna's from very cheap consumer grade bits and pieces.
- How-to Loop-Uda-Yagi
- MJason Hecker has an excellent document on his helical antenna design
- Guerrilla.net's directional antenna howto
- Andrew Clap's Directional Antenna (should be very cheap to build)
- Rob Flickenger's rework of Andrew Clap's Antenna
- More refinements of the Pringles can antenna:
- Wlan 2.4 GHz antenna do-it-yourself projects
- Martti Palomaki's Cake Can Panel Antenna
- Wave Guide Antennas
- Rob Flickenger's Cantenna
- Also a very nice page. David likes circular wave guides and has some interesting ideas.
- Michael Erskine's Parabolic Template
- More CANtennas
- Tony Langdon has design details for a high gain 2.4 GHz omnidirectional antenna (look for links mentioning 2.4Ghz near the bottom of the page).
- Guerrilla.net's omni-directional antenna howto
- A cheap and small omni-directional antenna
- Another cheap and small omni. Appears to be gone.
- The slim-jim omni
- Compact Collinear Antenna
- Use a Surplus Primestar Dish as an IEEE 802.11 Wireless Networking Antenna
- Modifying Conifer Antennas for Wireless Networking
- More on the same line, (~1000ft range!)
- How to run Power over Ethernet
- How far can you extend your power cable before going to POE?
- Adding an external antenna to a Dlink PCMCIA card (DWL-650)
- Pictures of a dissected a 4dB Maxrad Omni-directional antenna
- Anatomy of a Rubber Ducky Antenna
- Homebrew Embedded Linux Wireless Router
- Extensive Knowledge Base on Various Wireless Subjects
- Free Networks Weblog
- Weblog on 802.11b
- French blog on wireless news
- Mobile Mesh Networking
- Slashdot articles of interest
The announcement of GAWD and PersonalTelco's first /.'ing.
Talking about SeattleWireless and other burgeoning wireless communities
SecurityGeeks, articles of interest
- O'Reilly.net technical articles
- Kuro5hin article about why community networks are important by one of the consume.net gentlemen
- CNN article on wireless (in)security
Wireless LAN Mailing List http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wirelesslan/
Wireless Forum international Version http://www.wireless-forum.info/forum/
Wireless Forum German Version http://www.wireless-forum.ch/forum/
Please see our MailingLists page. It lists all mailng lists associated with WirelessCommunities that we are aware of.